Tribute to Dr. James Chambers aka JIMMY CLIFF
By Nzinga Nzinga
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
Many rivers to cross
But I
can't seem to find my way over
Wandering
I am lost as I travel along
The
white cliffs of Dover
Many
rivers to cross and it's only my will
That
keeps me alive
I've
been licked, washed up for years and
I
merely survive because of my pride.
Many Rivers to Cross. Jimmy Cliff
“It can be said, and rightly so,
that there is hardly any illness where
Swedish Bitters is not of benefit, or at
least is effective as a basis for every
treatment.”
Maria Treben, Health Through God’s
Pharmacy.
“It can be said, and rightly so,
that there is hardly any illness where
Swedish Bitters is not of benefit, or at
least is effective as a basis for every
treatment.”
Maria Treben, Health Through God’s
Pharmacy.
This dogmatic, didactic,
assertive and confident statement on Swedish Bitters, from Maria Treben, is
supported, endorsed, maintained and bolstered by successful healers and
researchers, reporters and laypersons (my category) and is not to be regarded
lightly but to be taken as gospel truth. Whether you are completely healthy,
mildly sick, chronically diseased or terminally ill, this piece of
authoritative therapeutic opinion should not be ignored but rather be in the
forefront of ones mind.
I am not merely impressed but overwhelmed by this sincere,
informed, stimulating, authoritative herbalist
practitioner-cum-researcher-cum-writer, Maria Treben. How can I tell the reader
why this brilliant herbalist is such a favourite of mine?
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
| Jimmy Cliff |
I laughed, I cried, I danced, I sang and I thanked God for bestowing on
me that glorious opportunity of witnessing genius singing, dancing,
intermittently playing all the musical instruments and splitting, at that age,
66!
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
“So much things to say...” (Bob Marley) about Jimmy’s performance but I will simply borrow from Mary Poppins and
declare it awesomely ‘supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’!

When he finally ended his out-of-this-world performance, some of the
audience yelled for an encore. Still wafting on a high, I yelled back: “No, no.
Enough. You have given us everything.” He gave no encore. He couldn’t. He had
wrapped it up in its fullness and closed it off with a Rasta Anthem. For
me, it was a religious experience. What I always say about my beloved Bob Marley’s music, I will also
say about Jimmy’s: “The music in my heart
I bore. Long after it was heard no more.” William Wordsworth.
Thank you, Jimmy.
Thank you, Jimmy.

So what is the link that I am drawing between the concert of Jimmy Cliff and the books of Maria Treben’s Health Through God’s Pharmacy and Cures? Simple. Undoubtedly, both maestros, in their own particular field, have produced brilliant work but the generosity of them both in giving their maximum without holding back, is what, at this moment of writing, brings tears to my eyes.
| Jimmy Cliff |
Yes, my captive audience, I have
been shedding two separate showers of tears for the generosity of each of these
two folks, from different parts of the globe, who represent different fields of
virtuosity, but have generously used their talent to benefit mankind and bring
satisfaction and joy to so many thousands globally, and with such excellence! I
am still crying. Thank, you Dr. Chambers and Mrs. Treben. You can deduce from
all this sentimentality on my part that I am a sucker for generosity and
excellence and that I am not ashamed to cry.
A brief clip from Jimmy's history won't hurt:
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff receiving OM |
Jimmy Cliff, is a Jamaican ska and reggae multi-instrumentalist musician, singer and actor.
He is also honoured as Dr. Chambers, OM, The
Jamaican government honoured Jimmy Cliff, on 20
October 2003, by awarding him The Order of Merit, the nation's
fourth-highest honour since 2003, in recognition of his contributions to the
film and music of Jamaica. He is the only living musician to hold the
Order of Merit.
A true Jamaican icon, Cliff was born
James Chambers on April 1, 1948 in Somerton, St.James, Jamaica. As a teenager,
he adopted the stage name “Cliff” to acknowledge the heights he intended to
climb. With a career spanning nearly 50 years, Cliff’s material can be found on
a total of nearly 100 albums/compilations/EPs/singles. His first album to win a
Grammy was “Cliff Hanger” (1985). Then, in the early 90s, Cliff returned to the
mainstream with his hit remake of Johnny Nash’s “I Can See Clearly Now” from
the Cool Runnings movie soundtrack.
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
With more than four
decades of material to choose from and a catalogue which includes Many Rivers to Cross, The Harder They Come, You Can Get it if You Really Want, Sitting in Limbo, Wonderful World, Beautiful People, Hot Shot, Rebel in Me, Reggae
Night, One More, Now & Forever, Peace, Vietnam, Shelter of Your Love, Dear
Mother, We all are one, Wild World and Hard Road to travel.
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff in movie The Harder They Come |
In 1972, Cliff starred as Ivanhoe
"Ivan" Martin in the classic reggae film, The Harder They Come directed by Perry Henzell. As
the film tells Martin's story, he is a young man without funds. Arriving in
Kingston from the country, he tries to make it in the recording business, but
without success. Eventually, he turns to a life of crime. The soundtrack album
of the film was a huge success that sold well globally to an international
audience for the first time. It remains one of the most
internationally significant films to have come out of Jamaica since
independence. After a series of albums, he took a break and travelled to
Africa and subsequently converted to Islam taking the new name: El
Hadj Naïm Bachir.
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
Also in 1985, Cliff contributed to the song"Sun City" a protest song against apartheid in South Africa. In 1988,his song
"Shelter of Your Love" was
featured in the hit film Cocktail
![]() |
| Jimmy Cliff |
Cliff appeared in the film Marked for Death in 1990, performing
"John Crow" with the Jimmy Cliff Band. His recording of "You Can Get It If You Really Want"
was used as a campaign anthem
by the Sandinista National
Liberation Front in the 1990 election in Nicaragua. In 1991, he performed at the second Rock
in Rio festival in Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil. He continued to sell well in Jamaica
and, to a lesser extent, in the UK, returning to the mainstream pop charts in
the U.S. and in France with a version of Johnny
Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now" on the Cool Runnings film
soundtrack in 1993.
In 1995, Cliff released the single "Hakuna Matata",
a song from the soundtrack of the film The Lion King.
Jimmy is also such a good looking
bro. I am sure his good looks have not in any way hurt his career! May he stay
blessed! I love him.
One of my favourite quotes from Jimmy Cliff:
"I consider myself a spiritual warrior, whose battle is always with self. I think consciously or unconsciously, we all are that."
The End
The End
All the images were taken from the Internet and I claim no copyright.





















.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment